Re: Q on what IGP routing protocol to use for supplying only gatewayaddress

  • From: Michael Nicks
  • Date: Thu Sep 14 14:26:58 2006

From the sounds of what you are trying to accomplish, I'd think VRRP/HSRP would be more up your alley than any dynamic routing protocol. Also look at NIC teaming.

Best Regards,
-Michael
--
Michael Nicks
Network Engineer
KanREN
e: [email protected]
o: +1-785-856-9800 x221
m: +1-913-378-6516

william(at)elan.net wrote:

I need to implement a sort-of failover-loadbalancing where systems
would receive gateway address from at least two routers (including
metric preference if possible). This needs to be done so that no special additional config is required on routers for each new system and for
each system all they need is gateway address and nothing else (no routes will be advertised to the router; but for security I'll want to specify
that no routes should be accepted). The systems receiving the routes
would be primarily linux PCs but will also include several windows and solaris machines. I don't want to use RIP (any version) or proxy ARP.
The routers are currently all cisco equipment.

Any suggestion as to what IGP protocol is best for this scenario?