Re: Q on what IGP routing protocol to use for supplying only gatewayaddress

  • From: william(at)elan.net
  • Date: Thu Sep 14 14:24:14 2006

On Thu, 14 Sep 2006, Roland Dobbins wrote:

On Sep 14, 2006, at 10:35 AM, william(at)elan.net wrote:

Any suggestion as to what IGP protocol is best for this scenario?
This is more of a cisco-nsp question, but probably OSPF, as it's supported
by the routing daemons on most *NIXes out of the box. I don't know about Windows.
If this was 5+ years ago, I'd have said RIP as it works great for supplying only gateway address, but I want RIP to go RIP and will
not use it again. So yes OSPF seems like best choice, but I was
hoping something simple for gateway-only is available. I've no idea
yet how to deal with Windows (all win2000 and win2003), anybody?

Are you doing anycasting or something?
Yes, anycasting will be involved but only for very small number of
servers (all linux) - that is kind-of separate issue. The equipment
itself however will only see local gateway addresses (obviously), so
it should not care or know about it.

If simple redundancy in the default gateway is the goal, another (and probably simpler) method is to implement HSRP or GLBP between your routers which are serving the hosts in question.
Can't use HSRP in this case (or IVRP or whatever else its called with non-cisco options) - too long to explain why.

--
William Leibzon
Elan Networks