Re: [routing-wg]BGP Update Report

  • From: Simon Leinen
  • Date: Wed Sep 13 18:06:37 2006

Marshall Eubanks writes:
> In a typical flight Europe / China I believe that there would be
> order 10-15 satellite transponder / ground station changes. The
> satellite footprints count for more that the geography.

What I remember from the Connexion presentations is that they used
only four ground stations to cover more or less the entire Northern
hemisphere.  I think the places were something like Lenk
(Switzerland), Moscow, Tokyo, and somewhere in the Central U.S..

So a Europe->China flight should involve just one or two handoffs
(Switzerland->Moscow(->Tokyo?)).  Each ground station has a different
ISP, and the airplane's /24 is re-announced from a different origin AS
after the handoff.

It's possible that there are additional satellite/transponder changes,
but those wouldn't be visible in BGP.
--
Simon.