Re: Kremen's Buddy?

  • From: Joe Abley
  • Date: Tue Sep 12 20:48:45 2006

Le 2006-09-12 à 19:52, Richard A Steenbergen a écrit :

Ever notice the only folks happy with the status quo are the few who have
already have an intimate knowledge of the ARIN allocation process, and/or
have the right political connections to resolve the "issues" that come up
when dealing with them?
No, I haven't noticed that. I have noticed people popping up and saying "so long as you supply the documentation that they ask for, it's pretty easy", however, which certainly matches my experience.

Try looking at it from an outsider's point of view instead. If you're new
to dealing with ARIN, it is not uncommon to find the process is absolutely
baffling, frustrating, slow, expensive, and requiring intrusive disclosure
just shy of an anal cavity probe.
Things that you've never done before can seem difficult. Film at 11.

It's confusing to me that there appears to be no shortage of people who are prepared to learn the three hundred ways of doing the same thing with perl, or how to dissect a core dump, or how BGP works, but who at the same time are not interested in reading the ARIN policy manual before making a request for resources.

Learning curves abound in every direction. The ARIN process is by far the easiest of those examples to get to grips with from someone who has no prior experience.

In any kind of free market system, competition would have bitchslapped the
current ARIN way of doing things a long, long time ago.
I'm not an economist, and this is not a policy list, so I have nothing to say about that here.

Joe