Re: Kremen's Buddy?

  • From: Richard A Steenbergen
  • Date: Tue Sep 12 19:55:19 2006

On Tue, Sep 12, 2006 at 06:55:11PM -0400, Joe Abley wrote:

> I find the references to alleged, inherent difficulties with the ARIN
> resource assignment process increasingly tedious. Even if the
> templates were "impossible to decipher", this isn't the forum to
> discuss them.
>
> In my opinion, you do the argument in favour of open trading of
> addresses as commodities a rank disservice by linking it to this kind
> of FUD.

Ever notice the only folks happy with the status quo are the few who have
already have an intimate knowledge of the ARIN allocation process, and/or
have the right political connections to resolve the "issues" that come up
when dealing with them?

Try looking at it from an outsider's point of view instead. If you're new
to dealing with ARIN, it is not uncommon to find the process is absolutely
baffling, frustrating, slow, expensive, and requiring intrusive disclosure
just shy of an anal cavity probe.

In any kind of free market system, competition would have bitchslapped the
current ARIN way of doing things a long, long time ago. Personally I find
the single most compelling reason to move to IPv6 to be the removal of any
justification for ARIN's continued existance in its current form.

Somehow I suspect the only folks who wouldn't welcome this are the ones
who benefit from the one thing ARIN is actually good at doing, namely
paying for frequent business class travel and accomodations to exotic
locations around the world under the pretense of "meetings". Hrm guess I
had better offer dinner in St Louis is on me for whichever one of my
friends on the "ARIN travel plan" complains about this post first. :)