Re: [Fwd: Kremen VS Arin Antitrust Lawsuit - Anyone have feedback?]

  • From: Joe Provo
  • Date: Tue Sep 12 13:12:42 2006

On Mon, Sep 11, 2006 at 02:45:58PM -0400, Daniel Golding wrote:
> Joe makes a good point. Everyone is shouting "no one owns IP
> addresses", but that is proof by assertion.

...as is asserting that marketplace economics work for any and
all things.  I lean toward low-regulation myself - why would I
want any regional governmental entity sticking its fingers into
a process that is 100% open to its constituents?  If anything,
the free market of *ideas* is working quite well for the policy
arena, with less up-front cost and complexity.

> There is a strong argument to be made for ownership of IP
> addressing and subsequently trading address space as a commodity,
> with ARIN as a commodity exchange and clearinghouse.
>
> Is this reaction people hating lawyers more than ARIN, or what?

It is funny for a free-marketeer to go down the road of wanting
to create more regulation: financial markets/trading floors are
one of the models that require a non-trivial support structure
in mechanics, legislation and regulation.  Sure all that activity
might employ more folks (mostly inside the beltway), but will we
be better off in the end?

On Mon, Sep 11, 2006 at 02:50:04PM -0400, Daniel Golding wrote:
[snip]
> You make an incorrect assumption - that IP addresses are currently
> free (they are not, in either money or time) and that commoditizing
> them will increase their cost (there is significant evidence it
> will not).

Who here is invoking proof by assertion?  'Evidence' implies
something concrete. At present, the currency in the above-board
IP addressing market are tied to clues rather than dollars.  Those
with clues (by bothering to read the specs, hiring permanently,
or renting them) sail through the process while those without get
frustrated.  Because some folks with more dollars than clues get
frustrated at applying decades-old technology of indirection through
DNS labels, why change the infrastructure to let the dollars win
over the clues? If they can't read the instructions to unbolt their
training wheels should they even be operating infrastructure?

I'd suggest that the ARIN public policy and any related flights of
armchair-economist musings would be best suited to the ARIN ppml
list.  ...though I suspect the topic will occupy some of us at
dinner tongiht. :-)

Cheers,

Joe

--
             RSUC / GweepNet / Spunk / FnB / Usenix / SAGE