Re: [Fwd: RE: Kremen VS Arin Antitrust Lawsuit - Anyone have feedback?]

  • From: Stephen Satchell
  • Date: Mon Sep 11 20:46:03 2006

On Mon, 11 Sep 2006, Chris Jester wrote:

Also, what about ARINS hardcore attitude making it near impossible
to aquire ip space, even when you justify it's use?  I have had
nightmares myself as well as MANY of my collegues share similar experiences.
I am having an issue right now with a UNIVERSITY in Mexico tryin to get
ip's from the mexican counterpart.  Why is it that they involve lawyers,
ask you all your customers names and etc... This is more information than
I think they should be requiring. Any company that wishes to engage in
business as an ISP or provider in some capacity should be granted the
right to their own ip space. We cannot trust using ips swipped to us by
upstreams and the like. Its just not safe to do that and you lose control.

Actually, is there anyone else who shares these nightmares with me?
I brought up the lawsuit with Kremen and ARIN to see if this is a common
issue.  What are your views, and can someone share nightmare stories?
When I went after my own /21 after headaches with the numbers from my upstreams, UUNET and SBC, I sought help from a consultant (inexpensive, I might add) to let me know *exactly* what I needed to provide to ARIN to justify a private allocation. Unlike the original poster's claim, I didn't have to "open the kimono" wide. ARIN looked at my existing utilization, my basic numbering plan, my then-existing map of domain names to IP addresses, my application for one ASN, and after one back-and-forth they said "yes."

Today I'm a very happy multi-homed camper.