Re: [Fwd: Kremen VS Arin Antitrust Lawsuit - Anyone have feedback?]

  • From: Fergie
  • Date: Fri Sep 08 12:44:40 2006

-- "Stephen Sprunk" <[email protected]> wrote:

>The entire suit is predicated on the concept that IP addresses can
>be owned and traded like other property.  The rest is a house of
>cards that will fall if ARIN can prove that to be incorrect -- and
>will probably stand if they can't.

[snip]

I like how Jack Bates framed it: The IP address space is a "community
asset" and as such, the allocation of it needs to be done in a way
which serves & benefits the Internet community at-large.

That said, we have had this discussion many times over the years,
especially within IEPG discussions, and punching holes in CIDR blocks,
for the sake of alighning address space w.r.t. special interests
(as opposed to some sanity in allocation policy which attempts to
preserve allocation to allow CIDR aggregation) is a Bad Thing.

It will be interesing to see how this plays out...

- ferg

--
"Fergie", a.k.a. Paul Ferguson
 fergdawg(at)netzero.net