Re: Router / Protocol Problem

  • From: tony sarendal
  • Date: Wed Sep 06 09:39:03 2006

On 06/09/06, Mike Walter <[email protected]> wrote:

I normally would not post to the group, but I am 100% stumped and have talked with peers with no luck.

I have (2) Cisco 7204 Routers running BGP with 3 peers and HSRP.  I am not doing anything special with BGP, pretty much a default config that has not changed in years.

Recently with no changes to my network, I have been having problems connecting to certain websites and mail servers.  I am always able to ping the sites and trace route without error.  If I telnet to port 80 or port 25 it does not connect.  If I login to my router and telnet sourcing my each of Internet Providers ports, I am able to get to the sites.  I have talked with all the providers and none can find a problem.  If I shut down one specific peer, everything works fine.  So I keep thinking it was that peers problem some how.  I have tested with just that peer up and I still can not connect.  However, when talking with that peer, they are able to telnet from their network to the sites I can not reach.  I don't know what else to check besides shutting down that peer.  Which since it is under a 3 year contract, not an option.  That isn't the real solution anyhow.

Can anyone shed some light on or off-list?

Give your peer a /32 to install on their access router, verify that return path
is via them and have them do connectivity tests to your problem sites.

If that checks out you step by step through it. Ask to be moved to a different
access router, next change your hardware.

/Tony

--
Tony Sarendal - [email protected]
IP/Unix