Re: NNTP feed.

  • From: Elijah Savage
  • Date: Wed Sep 06 07:53:18 2006

> From: Richard A Steenbergen <[email protected]>
> Date: Wed, 6 Sep 2006 01:24:07 -0400
> To: "[email protected]" <[email protected]>
> Subject: Re: NNTP feed.
>

> On Wed, Sep 06, 2006 at 04:29:54AM +0200, Daniel Roesen wrote:
>>
>> If folks would end abusing NNTP for file distribution via flooding, the
>> matter would quickly be resolved. Am i naive?
>
> There is a reason Usenet hasn't gone the way of Gopher, and I assure you
> it isn't because of the the copious spam, net kooks, and trolls. There is
> a certain type of content that people want, and I'll give you one guess
> what that is... If you don't carry that content, you'll probably be doing
> more traffic in backscatter on the IP space then you will in NNTP. :)
>
> --
> Richard A Steenbergen <[email protected]>       http://www.e-gerbil.net/ras
> GPG Key ID: 0xF8B12CBC (7535 7F59 8204 ED1F CC1C 53AF 4C41 5ECA F8B1 2CBC)

Richard,

What type of content is that :) Just pulling your chain. But seriously there
are many of us that use NNTP for legal matters and the pleasure of
communicating with one another with something other than email for many
reasons. If you are looking to get into the NNTP business and use it as a
revenue generator I think you would be better of outsourcing to some of the
companies that already has been mentioned and some that I know of that
provide an awesome service that has not been mentioned :) I subscribe to
many groups that I try to read daily some health related, political, and of
course technology focused.  But if this is something you want as a value
added service I have yet to see anyone be able to maintain the
infrastructure.

I have went through the process of outsourcing to a news provider previously
and if you would like could make recommendations offline.