Re: NNTP feed.

  • From: Greg Boehnlein
  • Date: Tue Sep 05 19:43:48 2006

On Wed, 6 Sep 2006, Mikael Abrahamsson wrote:

> On Wed, 6 Sep 2006, Jeroen Massar wrote:
>
> > seems to be loads of people doing a lot of posting and reading, where else
> > would the volume of that traffic come from?
>
> I guess experiences differ from different organisations, when I discovered
> that server-server traffic was at least 10x more than people actually read
> (server-client) I didn't feel like trying to get my (then) employer
> continue running the NNTP server.
>
> My feeling today (or rather, 3-5 years ago) is that NNTP is used instead
> of bittorrent and other PtP protocols to move copyrighted material, and
> I'd say that it probably makes more sense for some to let their users
> invest in that drivespace than to have themselves run an NNTP server and
> spend operational resources on keeping it running well.
>
> I've also heard people complaining about a few NNTP users causing a lot of
> helpdesk tickets in respect to "single message missing" because they
> cannot download that 4.7 gig ISO correctly because a message got lost
> somewhere in the middle.

I came to much the same conclusion several years ago, when we finally
decommissioned our NNTP Servers and out-sourced the service to an outside
company. Running an NNTP server was a full-time job, and the 500 or so
people that used it didn't generate enough revenue for us to continue
managing it inside.

                             KP-216-121-ST