Re: NNTP feed.

  • From: Mikael Abrahamsson
  • Date: Tue Sep 05 19:32:37 2006

On Wed, 6 Sep 2006, Jeroen Massar wrote:

seems to be loads of people doing a lot of posting and reading, where else would the volume of that traffic come from?
I guess experiences differ from different organisations, when I discovered that server-server traffic was at least 10x more than people actually read (server-client) I didn't feel like trying to get my (then) employer continue running the NNTP server.

My feeling today (or rather, 3-5 years ago) is that NNTP is used instead of bittorrent and other PtP protocols to move copyrighted material, and I'd say that it probably makes more sense for some to let their users invest in that drivespace than to have themselves run an NNTP server and spend operational resources on keeping it running well.

I've also heard people complaining about a few NNTP users causing a lot of helpdesk tickets in respect to "single message missing" because they cannot download that 4.7 gig ISO correctly because a message got lost somewhere in the middle.

--
Mikael Abrahamsson email: [email protected]