Re: Spain was offline

  • From: steve
  • Date: Mon Sep 04 07:33:40 2006

On Mon, Sep 04, 2006 at 12:07:02PM +0100, [email protected] wrote:

> > > I can't get a TLD zone? But back to the root servers. Are you
> > > agreering with me that if I announce F and I root's netblocks
> > > inside of my own network that everyone would be ok with that?
>
> > Who is responsible if this set-up fails?
> >
> > Who is responsible if it lies?
> >
> > Who is likely to get blamed for any failures?
> >
> > Would this require explicit consent from all customers
> > subject to such treatment?
> >
> > Would this require a possibility for each custoemr to opt out
> > of such a scheme?
>
> Aren't all of these questions private issues between
> the private network operator and their customers?
> The same thing applies to companies who use IP addresses
> inside their private networks that are officially
> registered to someone else. This is a fairly common
> practice and yet it rarely causes problems on the
> public Internet.

I agree (and hence disagree with Daniel) - all networks are privately operated, and it is up to their admins to do whatever they wish providing

a) their actions are limited to their borders (dont announce the netblocks to other asns)

b) their customers get what they pay for - if you start meddling with things like redirecting dns not founds to your page - your customers should understand that before they buy

this consitutes operating a private company and a private consumer agreement.. so whats the issue? this may not be technical utopia but we live in a commercial world..

Steve