AW: ams-ix - worth using?

  • From: Gunther Stammwitz
  • Date: Thu Aug 24 17:34:50 2006

Costs for leased lines from the states to either Linx, Ams-Ix or DE-Cix are
all more or less the same.
You should chose the ixp from you can benefit most. DE-Cix has done a lot in
the past few months to attract more members from eastern Europe. Because of
its position just in the middle of Europe you should have the best coverage
to western as well as eastern Europe.

A short comparison:

Exchange / Traffic on public exchange vlan / Number of members
LINX: ~ 77 Gbps / 210 members
AMS-IX: ???* Gbps / 244 members
DE-CIX: 51 Gbps / 184 members

* = the webpage says about 110 Gbps but as far as I know a lot of Dutch isps
are carrying some sort of mirror-traffic over the ams-ix because of legal
monitoring reasons (correct me if I'm wrong)

If you ask me then AMS-IX and LINX are both very good exchanges. The de-cix
is a little bit smaller but has a lot of potential due to eastern Europe
isps joining more and more.

Gunther