Re: ams-ix - worth using?

  • From: Mikael Abrahamsson
  • Date: Wed Aug 23 18:22:14 2006

On Wed, 23 Aug 2006, matthew zeier wrote:

Does it simply provide an easy way to privately connect to transit and peers? Or can I also go crazy and peer with anyone who wants to peer (like in the olden day!) ?

There are plenty of ISPs both at AMSIX and LINX and they're mostly very happy to peer with people that they would otherwise see thru US transit partner. My guess is that you'll be able to offload quite a bit of your EU transit if you connect to AMSIX.

If you otoh purchase EU transit thru someone, it's quite likely that a chunk of the bigger EU ISPs won't peer with you ("we already peer with your upstream") so you probably want to think about how you're going to play the peering game! :)

Otoh purchasing transit in Amsterdam will probably get you quite decent pricing and with your low traffic volume it might make economic sense to wait with the peering until you have grown into higher volume.

I'd say AMS-IX is mostly for peering with a lot of people, if that answers your question.

--
Mikael Abrahamsson    email: [email protected]