Re: Amazon?

  • From: Jon R. Kibler
  • Date: Mon Aug 21 16:38:42 2006

I am currently in the DC area. It appears that Amazon came up about 20 minutes ago.

SANS ISC has a little info on the problem. Quoting from http://isc.sans.org/diary.php?n&storyid=1625 :
UPDATE:

Diligent Reader Corwin Grey points out:

"Amazon may be having more than a 'little' trouble. :/ Check out their whois:

Server Name: AMAZON.COM.IS.N0T.AS.1337.AS.WWW.GULLI.COM IP Address: 80.190.192.24 Registrar: KEY-SYSTEMS GMBH Whois Server: whois.rrpproxy.net Referral URL: http://www.key-systems.net

<snip>"

Now, amazon.com looks OK from a whois lookup at www.internic.net (record points to Network Solutions) and from a Network Solutions whois lookup. But, it looks like we've got some whois database hijinks out there for some of the whois servers and the www.amazon.com info.

Reader Sean points out that these gulli folks do this kind of thing a lot to sites like Amazon.com, Microsoft, and others, and these whois hijinks are likely independent of the back-end problems that Amazon.com appears to be having. I agree.

I just now checked, and they seem to be back up... so, intermittent problem fixed? For now... It's not the end of the world.

--Ed Skoudis
Intelguardians

Elijah Savage wrote:
Thats strange I am not having any issues at all and I have tested it from 3 different peering points.