Re: i am not a list moderator, but i do have a request

  • From: Gadi Evron
  • Date: Thu Aug 17 15:49:22 2006
On 13 Aug 2006, Paul Vixie wrote:

> which is, please move these threads to a non-SP mailing list.
>
> R  [  41: Danny McPherson     ] Re: mitigating botnet C&Cs has become useless
> R      [  22: "Laurence F. Sheldon]
> R      <  45: Danny McPherson     >
> R          [  62: "Laurence F. Sheldon]
> R  [ 162: "J. Oquendo"        ] Re: [Full-disclosure] what can be done with botnet C&C's?
> R      < 211: "Payam Tarverdyan Ch>
> R          [  66: Michael Nicks       ]
>
> i already apologized to the moderators for participating in a non-ops thread
> here.  there are plenty of mailing lists for which botnets are on-topic.
> nanog is not one and should not become one.  nanog has other useful purposes.

Paul, apparently, we are in disagreement! :)

Botnets are an operational issue affecting most of every large carrier to
moms&pops service provider here.

I believe a lot of the information about botnets, which is not that
complex, is behind held in secret for no reason, and I release it when
possible.

Most importantly, though, this discussion has not devolved into personal
accusations, unrelated issues or flames. It is still on-track for what is
being discussed and as most members are expected, not just need to, deal
with the issue, they are chiming in.

Those who are not interested in this on-topic subject for so many here,
should just start another. No one can be expected to be interested in
everything.

This is probably one of the more active and interesting discussions in the
past year which are ON-TOPIC.

Now, unless we discuss reverse engineering, sandboxing or perhaps
encryption, how are botnets, DDoS created by botnets and botnet
mitigation, plus ISP-wide handling not on-topic?

Now tell me, aside to BGP issues, etc. how many people here have had to
deal with DDoS, botnets, C&C killing and tracking, etc.? on a daily
bases?

How many here are interested in understanding operational implications,
and then actual things that can be implemented on networks to combat the
problem?

As this is one of the closest issues related to net-ops discussed here
this year, I'd suggest picking more on-topic subjects in general.

This is a meta discussion, so I suppose according to the guidelines it
should be taken to nanog-futures where we can <beep> about it for a
week?

Thanks,

	Gadi.