Re: Captchas was Re: ISP wants to stop outgoing web based spam

  • From: Paul Jakma
  • Date: Tue Aug 15 20:15:20 2006

On Thu, 10 Aug 2006, Simon Waters wrote:

I've no doubt some captcha can be invented in ASCII, but this isn't it.

'tis. It works for at least one blog platform, where I've never once had comment spam.

a kid), and it would be relatively trivial to code it to handle the types of questions for this kind of test.

Sure, so change the questions.

The ultimate "captcha defeating AI" is already in-use by spammers by the way - humans (get humans to "solve" captchas in return for some reward, e.g. porn). ASCII or image matters not a jot to those.

ASCII captches are no less effective than image-captcha just without the nasty "ban the blind from the internet!" side-effects.

regards,
--
Paul Jakma	[email protected]	[email protected]	Key ID: 64A2FF6A
Fortune: