Re: i am not a list moderator, but i do have a request

  • From: Danny McPherson
  • Date: Sun Aug 13 17:16:09 2006

On Aug 13, 2006, at 1:02 PM, Paul Vixie wrote:

which is, please move these threads to a non-SP mailing list.

R [ 41: Danny McPherson ] Re: mitigating botnet C&Cs has become useless
R [ 22: "Laurence F. Sheldon]
R < 45: Danny McPherson >
R [ 62: "Laurence F. Sheldon]
R [ 162: "J. Oquendo" ] Re: [Full-disclosure] what can be done with botnet C&C's?
R < 211: "Payam Tarverdyan Ch>
R [ 66: Michael Nicks ]

i already apologized to the moderators for participating in a non- ops thread
here. there are plenty of mailing lists for which botnets are on- topic.
nanog is not one and should not become one. nanog has other useful purposes.

Interestingly enough, I lurk here 99.999% of the time. I comment
on this thread and folks ask to move it to a non-SP mailing list? Perhaps
non-operational, but this certainly has direct implications on SPs and
I'm of the opinion it's quite relevant - well, certainly as relevant as the
past recent threads:

SORBS Contact
New Latop Policies
Fingerprinting and SPAM ID
MPLS Gear for Outside Plant
[perhaps] Fedex Contact
Citrix Load-balancing
Detecting Parked Domains

I suppose it's more "what I feel like reading and sending email about", as
opposed to whether/what's on topic or not. I'm done with this thread on
NANOG - else the slew of "me too" responses on this "list moderator" thread
will divert attention from alternative cruft...

Wondering if I should send a message to NANOG every time I see a thread
of questionable NANOG relevance,

-danny