Re: New Laptop Polices

  • From: Patrick W. Gilmore
  • Date: Sat Aug 12 05:13:22 2006

On Aug 12, 2006, at 12:16 AM, joelja wrote:

Fundamentally I don't see how changes in airline policy would have a
significant effect in the steps required to secure a laptop against
theft or tampering.

Because laptops are stolen / lost infrequently enough to allow replacement measures to be non-trivial. Just because IT can replace your laptop & its contents doesn't mean it's cheap, easy, quick, or even possible when you are overseas.

If I have to replace the laptop at the far end of every flight I take, the procedure must be essentially idiot proof and instantaneous. That requires a lot more time, effort, money, resources, etc.

--
TTFN,
patrick