Re: fingerprinting and spam ID (was: Re: ISP wants to stop outgoing web based spam)

  • From: Ken Simpson
  • Date: Fri Aug 11 12:31:31 2006

> The problem is that I already see enough legit mail hit the
> quarantine due to being HTML/multipart, suspected of being sent
> "direct-to-MX" due to Exchange's bizarre habit of not providing an
> audit trail via Received headers, etc.

Of course by the time you can inspect the body of a message, it's
already sucked down a large chunk of your resources. Host type is
useful in pre-filtering even before you go so far as to send the
banner -- to get rid of or at least slow down the crap that you almost
certainly know is on its way.

> The biggest problem with email isn't that it doesn't work; the biggest
> problem with email is that there are so many vendors who simply refuse
> to implement SMTP properly.

I heartily agree! We have seen some laughable renditions of SMTP over
the years.

Regards,
Ken

--