Re: ISP wants to stop outgoing web based spam

  • From: Ken Simpson
  • Date: Fri Aug 11 12:31:06 2006

Alexander Harrowell [11/08/06 17:09 +0100]:
> Holding the geek snobbery for a moment, I don't think I've ever worked
> anywhere where the e-mail wasn't MSExchange...so that would kill 100% of
> "e-mail containing actual financially meaningful information".

Yes it would if host type was the only factor you used to decide
whether to block a connection. It would be silly and unwise to block
based on host type alone. However in the absence of any other
information about an IP, it's at least a good and safe way to trigger
rate limiting or throttling of a connection. Once the sender gets a
few good mails through and proves its worthiness, its good reputation
will vastly outweight the host type.

Legitimate senders don't move around a lot, so their positive
reputation has time to build. Spammers on the other hand use very
short-lived IPs which do not have a chance to build reputation.

The next iteration for spammers will be to move in a big way toward
sending via legitimate outbound mail servers. A previous thread was
already discussing a variant of this technique, where webmail accounts
are automatically plundered from cafes in Nigeria to exploit the good
reputation of ISPs.

Regards,
Ken