Re: ISP wants to stop outgoing web based spam

  • From: Hank Nussbacher
  • Date: Thu Aug 10 04:25:50 2006

At 04:02 PM 09-08-06 -0500, Michael Nicks wrote:
I've had a a situation in the past that required this same application. I ended up using amavisd-new with custom views for incoming and outgoing mail. For spam originating from inside, it was dropped completely, for spam originating from the outside, subject was rewritten.

This is just an SMTP solution and has no applicability to the problem at hand.

Thanks anyway,
Hank Nussbacher
http://www.interall.co.il

Hope this helps.
-Michael

--
Michael Nicks
Network Engineer

Hank Nussbacher wrote:
Back in 2002 I asked if anyone had a solution to block or rate limit
outgoing web based spam. Nothing came about from that thread. I have an
ISP that *wants* to stop the outgoing spam on an automatic basis and be
a good netizen. I would have hoped that 4 years later there would be
some technical solution from some hungry startup. Perhaps I have missed
it. What I have found so far is:
Detecting Outgoing Spam and Mail Bombing
http://www.brettglass.com/spam/paper.html
SMTP based mitigation - thing on HTTP/HTTPS
Stopping Outgoing Spam
http://research.microsoft.com/~joshuago/outgoingspam-final-submit.pdf
Research paper - nothing practical
Throttling Outgoing SPAM for Webmail Services
http://www.ceas.cc/papers-2005/164.pdf
Research paper - nothing practical
ISPs look inward to stop spam - Network World
http://www.networkworld.com/news/2004/071204carrispspam.html
Bottom line - no solution
So I am trying once again.  Hopefully someone has some magic dust
this time around.
Thanks,
Hank Nussbacher
http://www.interall.co.il
This Mail Was Scanned By Mail-seCure System
at the Tel-Aviv University CC.