Re: SORBS Contact

  • From: william(at)elan.net
  • Date: Thu Aug 10 04:04:49 2006

On Wed, 9 Aug 2006, Allan Poindexter wrote:

 william> In the way you describe it any spam filter is bad any spam
 william> filter manufacturer should go to jail...

Manufacturer?  No.  It is perfectly permissible for a recipient to run
a filter over his own mail if he wishes.

An RBL is in fact kind-of like spam filter manufacturer or more precisely
RBL operator is like spam filter manufacturer. I've not heard of antispam
product manufacturer ever being in court because of spam classification
problems with their product; in fact I've not even seen successful case brought against Microsoft and we do all know how much spam comes through because of deficiencies in their product...

In any case I think what you have a problem with is not RBL lists or anti-spam filtering but situation where lists and filters are used without your knowledge and approval by your ISP[*] to filter your mail.
My suggestion to you is to either have your own domain and run your
own filtering system or to choose an ISP that provides you with
capabilities to control their spam filter, for example by way of
using SIEVE scripts.

[*] I do want to point out though that if domain is owned by ISP
they can decide what rules to set for their users. Any email address
you get within that domain is not really "yours" but basically you're
"licensed" to use that address as long as you pay your service fees
and agree to policies and rules of the ISP (and license is in fact
correct term because often enough company would have a trademark on
their name and so when you use email address with such a name you
need their permission, i.e. a license).

I have in the past considered this antispam stuff "ill advised" or
"something I oppose".  Expect me to fight it tooth and nail from
now on.

You need to understand first who to fight.

--
William Leibzon
Elan Networks