Re: ISP wants to stop outgoing web based spam

  • From: Joe Abley
  • Date: Wed Aug 09 12:27:04 2006

On 9-Aug-2006, at 12:02, Ken Simpson wrote:

Maybe I'm just an ignorant e-mail postmaster. I thought that
nearly all e-mail was (E)SMTP-based (LMTP excepted).

If it doesn't use the SMTP protocol, it's not reaching any
mailbox. HTTP is a web browser protocol. WebMail gets converted
by the web server and is subsequently routed using SMTP.

I think he's talking about blog spam, which is definitely submitted over HTTP.

I thought it was pretty clear that he was talking about e-mail spam submitted using HTTP to webmail services like hotmail, yahoo and gmail: