Re: mitigating botnet C&Cs has become useless

  • From: Michael Loftis
  • Date: Wed Aug 09 12:11:56 2006

--On August 8, 2006 12:06:42 PM -0400 Sean Donelan <[email protected]> wrote:

On Tue, 8 Aug 2006, Arjan Hulsebos wrote:
We (ISPs) already do have that power, we can disconnect misbehaving
subscribers. And in cases like this, we should keep them off the 'net
until they've cleaned up their PC.

Botnet C&Cs are not naturally occuring phenomena. Relying only on defensive security, and not arresting the criminals, will just result in the criminals becoming bolder and more aggressive.

In most cases ISPs are just taking action against innocent bystanders
that got hit in the cross-fire. Those bystanders aren't the cause. If you
let the criminals continue trying over and over again, you are just
training them to become better shots.  Telling your customers they should
wear
bullet-proof vests whenever they go outside isn't going to stop snippers.
Arresting the snipper is going to stop the snipper.

Yup this is a social problem. Just like there's nothing actually stopping any of us from beating up a guy on the street, we don't do it because it isn't legal, doesn't make sense, etc. Some muggers do, the people in control of the SPAM problem are the muggers....the people with infected systems are just the ones who've been mugged.