Re: ISP wants to stop outgoing web based spam

  • From: Ken Simpson
  • Date: Wed Aug 09 12:00:00 2006

Hi Hank,

Have you had any luck combining Squid in a transparent proxy
configuration with SpamAssassin? A commercial plugin like Cloudmark
might provide better performance (since it doesn't have to evaluate
thousands of regex rules for each connection).

How to run Squid as a transparent proxy:
http://wiki.squid-cache.org/SquidFaq/InterceptionProxy

I haven't figured out how to get Squid to let you run a script to scan
and modify requests that are passing through. If you can figure that
out I'd love to know!

Otherwise, you might try looking at a couple of security auditing
proxies:

http://www.parosproxy.org/functions.shtml (Java)
http://www.immunitysec.com/resources-freesoftware.shtml (Spike Proxy,
Python)

.. Or you could roll your own simple CGI script that accepts web
queries and uses LWP or another simple package to fetch the results --
scanning for spam at the same time.

Regards,
Ken Simpson
MailChannels