RE: ISP wants to stop outgoing web based spam

  • From: Hank Nussbacher
  • Date: Wed Aug 09 11:12:58 2006

On Wed, 9 Aug 2006, Mills, Charles wrote:

I guess I wasn't clear enough in my first posting. I am not interested in smtp (port 25 spam). We have that covered. I am only interested in blocking outgoing web based spam. A user sits and sends out spam via automated tools via Hotmail, Yahoo, Gmail, or whatever Webmail system where they have set up thousands of throwaway users. An antispam proxy (that I want to install and manage) has to be able to come between the user on his/her PC and the Hotmail system and scan the http posts and page templates for things like number of receipents and other tricks like keeping track of the number of http posts. It has to maintain a list of known free webmail systems that are abused.

Based on my stats from Spamcop, 60% of all outgoing spam is http based rather than smtp based. Others may have slightly higher or lower numbers.

So, is there any magic fu out there to solve this?

Thanks,
Hank Nussbacher
http://www.interall.co.il

Seems like all mail would have to go through the same server at that
point or at least every server would have to run the software.  Probably
not practical for an ISP if you have multiple customers with their own
mail servers?  I assume you're looking for something that would sit on
your egress point to your upstream providers?   I would think that the
Packeteer box would almost be there to do this if you could have it or a
box like it inspect all traffic destined for port 25.  Compare it
against a database of known spammers, known spam keywords, etc.?

Charles L. Mills

Senior Network Engineer

Access Data Corporation

90 Beta Drive

Pittsburgh, PA 15238

(412) 968-4024

[email protected]

http://www.accessdc.com <http://www.accessdc.com/>

Hosting, Colocation and Disaster Recovery