Re: mitigating botnet C&Cs has become useless

  • From: Arjan Hulsebos
  • Date: Wed Aug 09 06:06:18 2006

On Tue, 08 Aug 2006 15:10:50 -0700, Rick Wesson wrote:
Last sunday at DEFCON I explained how one consumer ISP cost American
business $29M per month because of the existence of key-logging botnets.

Maybe so, but that argument doesn't buy me more helpdesk folks. The same holds true for the bandwidth argument, especially now that bandwidth is dirt cheap.

On the other hand, it shouldn't be too difficult to come up with a
walled garden profile for subs that have infected PCs, basically
allowing only access to a filtering proxy, so these subs can download
their patches and antivirus updates through it.

Gr,

Arjan H