Re: mitigating botnet C&Cs has become useless

  • From: Sean Donelan
  • Date: Tue Aug 08 12:07:57 2006

On Tue, 8 Aug 2006, Arjan Hulsebos wrote:
We (ISPs) already do have that power, we can disconnect misbehaving
subscribers. And in cases like this, we should keep them off the 'net
until they've cleaned up their PC.

Botnet C&Cs are not naturally occuring phenomena. Relying only on defensive security, and not arresting the criminals, will just result
in the criminals becoming bolder and more aggressive.

In most cases ISPs are just taking action against innocent bystanders that got hit in the cross-fire. Those bystanders aren't the cause. If you let the criminals continue trying over and over again, you are just training them to become better shots. Telling your customers they should wear
bullet-proof vests whenever they go outside isn't going to stop snippers.
Arresting the snipper is going to stop the snipper.