Re: mitigating botnet C&Cs has become useless

  • From: Simon Waters
  • Date: Tue Aug 08 11:36:45 2006

On Tuesday 08 Aug 2006 15:03, you wrote:

> And, as usual, security is only costing you money.....

To a first approximation 10% of all incoming net traffic is malware/abuse/junk
related, so if you are a residential ISP presumably 10% of outgoing bandwidth
is swallowed up this way.

So there are savings to be made, of course the economies work against it, as
it is generally cheaper to by bandwidth in bulk, than deal with individual
cases.

However most big residential ISPs must be getting to the point where 10%
bandwidth saving would justify buying in third party solutions for containing
malware sources. I assume residential ISPs must be worse than 10%, as I hope
businesses do slightly better on average. On the upside, over here, the
migration to ADSL, means that "containing" an infected host via a third party
can be as simple as changing the ADSL settings so they connect to a third
party walled garden rather than the host ISP (effectively transferring them
to a different ISP, just one who exists solely for cleaning up infected
systems).