Re: mitigating botnet C&Cs has become useless

  • From: Mattias Ahnberg
  • Date: Fri Aug 04 01:28:31 2006

Bora Akyol wrote:
> What I am saying is that throwing more technology (boxes, appliances
> etc) and more manpower at the problem within the NSP,ISP, and ASP boxes
> of the network block diagram is NOT going to solve the problem. I am not
> saying, stop what you are doing, all I am saying is that, it is TIME to
> look at the overall approach that we have taken fighting this war.

You speak of not stopping, but still not adding more technology, more
manpower and whatnot to the problem. Sometimes standing still while
everything else around you moves is pretty much the same as stopping.

While I agree that the current process of hunting botnets, disabling
their C&Cs and such is the BEST way of eventually trying to smother
the big problem we should probably consider the alternative. What
would things be like if we HADN'T done what we are donig? And what
would happen if we stepped on the break now?

Worth thinking about that too.
--
/ahnberg.