Re: mitigating botnet C&Cs has become useless

  • From: Fergie
  • Date: Thu Aug 03 17:12:09 2006

-- Danny McPherson <[email protected]> wrote:

[good stuff elided]

>I agree that the root of the problem is the miscreants perpetrating
>these crimes, and they need to be prosecuted, but the responsibility
>falls far wider than the SPs.
>
>I also accept the references provided by Paul and others, but what's
>the near-term alternative?
>
>-danny

I would suggest more specific attention by service providers
specifically, and everyone in general, perhaps with more
"abuse services" -related tracks at meetings like NANOG. :-)

Or something along those lines...

I think the problem(s) have ballooned to the point where
everyone is feeling a bit overwhelmed in getting the cooperation
needed to take down botnet C&C's, phishing hosts, and other nefarious
"services" -- some which try to hide using DNS RR "fast-flux", etc.

The whole business of getting cooperation in this area needs much
improvement.

- ferg

--
"Fergie", a.k.a. Paul Ferguson