Re: Detecting parked domains

  • From: Jim Popovitch
  • Date: Wed Aug 02 22:22:29 2006

Sean Donelan wrote:
On Wed, 2 Aug 2006, Patrick W. Gilmore wrote:
I have over 100 domains on my personal web server.  _NONE_ of them
are parked, although not all have web pages (and of the ones that do,
none have ads).

I tried not to attribute malice on the part of domain parking operators. I am looking for a way that you, or anyone else, could indicate a domain should not be considered "in service" although the name is registered and has an A record pointing to an active server so when I check that name it doesn't require a human to interpret the results.

Most of the legit domain parking operators make it pretty obvious to
a human looking at the web page its not an active domain name , e.g. The
Future Home Of XYZ, Buy This Domain Now, etc.  Unfortunately what may
be obvious to a human is sometimes difficult for a dumb computer.  I
just want a way to make it equally obvious to a computer. As Randy points
out, there is more to the Net than the Web, so the better solution should
not depend on sending a query to port 80.

Don't parked domains exist on a registrar owned IP? I would think a list could be built from spending some time contacting each registrar (http://www.icann.org/registrars/accredited-list.html). ;-)

Or if you didn't mind over-compensating, you could at least assume that
"Various Registrars" listed here: http://www.iana.org/assignments/ipv4-address-space will probably contain the registrar's public sites as well as hosted domains. Just my $.02

-Jim P.