Re: Detecting parked domains

  • From: Stephane Bortzmeyer
  • Date: Tue Aug 01 16:02:33 2006

On Tue, Aug 01, 2006 at 03:35:40PM -0400,
 Sean Donelan <[email protected]> wrote
 a message of 6 lines which said:

> Has anyone come up with a quick method for detecting if a domain
> name is parked, but is not being used except displaying ads?

I don't think it is possible: "being parked" cannot be defined in an
algorithmic way. My own domain sources.org does not even have a Web
site (and I swear it is not parked).

Let's try:

* Bayesian filtering on the content of the Web page, after suitable
  training?

* Number of different pages on the site (if n == 1 then the domain is
  parked)?

* (Based on the analysis of many sites, not just one) Content of the
  page "almost" identical to the content of many other pages? (Caveat:
  the Apache default installation page...)