Re: AOL Mail Problem

  • From: Simon Waters
  • Date: Fri Jul 28 03:32:05 2006

On Thursday 27 Jul 2006 17:59, William Yardley wrote:

> Keeping in mind that they are not only a huge email provider, but also
> that their user-base is mostly not exactly tech savvy, I think Carl,
> Charles et al do a pretty good job over there.

I think Carl moved on to other things in AOL.

> Dealing with their postmaster team can still take a while sometimes, but
> they'll generally respond.

Experience here is that they don't any more. I've got responses, but not via
[email protected]

They still do simplistic blocks on content, i.e. containing certain types of
content will cause a message to be rejected outright, without any sort of
consideration of the other content of the message. I think that is a broken
model.

Some sort of port 25 block, but neither a complete block, nor guaranteed
delivery, but some sort of intermediate proxy. This makes life very hard on
people who are learning about email, or coming from elsewhere. I think what
was needed was abuse detection and some sort of walled garden approach, which
could have dealt with all forms of abuse, not just email.

I appreciate changing anything at all on that sort of scale is always
tremendously challenging.