Re: APC Matrix 5000 question(s)

  • From: up
  • Date: Fri Jul 28 00:17:22 2006

On Thu, 27 Jul 2006, Michael J Wise wrote:

> On Jul 27, 2006, at 5:10 AM, Ray Van Dolson wrote:
>
> > In any case, give APC support a holler.
>
> Definitely.
>
> > I'm always nervous doing any sort of maintenance on our Symmetra.
>
> The Symmetra is a completely different animal from the 5000, though.
> I <3 the Symmetra.
>
> Oh yes, one more point... best to check the 5000's battery packs for
> heat and bulging, as some of the packs may be about to vent the Hot
> Sauce, and cleaning that up is always "Fun". Aloha mai Nai`a! -- "Please
> have your Internet License http://kapu.net/~mjwise/

Update: I replaced the batteries today, and indeed, several of the old
ones (mostly in the first pack) were split and some had popped a couple of
their "sealed" tops.

I left for several hours and came back to the house stinking like burning
rubber.  The new batteries are apparently melting the terminal rubber
insulation.  I had to throw it back into bypass mode and unplug that pack
(the only one with new batteries!)

Any ideas to the cause?  The status screens looked ok. ("no bad batteries"
again)

[email protected]							    http://3.am