RE: Global Crossing Contact / BGP and SONET interaction question

  • From: Randy Epstein
  • Date: Wed Jul 26 01:44:46 2006

Forrest:

<snip>

>Recently my BGP session has started flapping on the GX circuit... It
>looks something like this:
>
>Jul 21 21:33:32.703 UTC: %BGP-5-ADJCHANGE: neighbor 67.17.168.73 Up
>
>There are no other log entries during the periods when this occur.
>Unfortunately this causes enough prefix flaps that any prefixes which
>are preferred through GX are damped for like a half hour by certain
>providers as my BGP routes get added/withdrawn through the GX link.

<snip>

I don't have an answer to the root cause of your problem, and I'm not
looking for a discussion on route dampening (there are enough debates on
this issue to make your head spin), but may I suggest you raise your hold
timers to prevent your BGP sessions from going down on short disturbances as
these?

>-forrest

Randy