Re: Hot weather and power outages continue

  • From: Michael Loftis
  • Date: Mon Jul 24 17:20:55 2006

--On July 24, 2006 2:22:26 AM -0400 Sean Donelan <[email protected]> wrote:

While its expected for individual customers to go down during power
outages, usually because the customer does not have local backup power, it
is less common for major web sites and co-location centers to experience
downtime during power outages.

Except if you're in Qwest territory. Apparently they don't put any battery backup at their mini-DSLAMs and such. Every time we lose power, I'm still up, but the DSL signal goes away. Haven't checked dialtone, but I keep meaning too during the next outage.

Now I know it's not exactly fair singling out Qwest, because I'll bet Verizon and others share the same thing, and I'm pretty sure it's just their ADSL service and not the voice service (I haven't checked though) it's still becoming more and more common that as an individual user your connection to the internet, unless you're paying for something other than ADSL or Cable, will be just as affected by local power outages.