RE: Hot weather and power outages continue

  • From: Christian Nielsen
  • Date: Mon Jul 24 13:36:34 2006

20 - 30 years ago, Air Conditioning in a house was more of a luxury. For
us, it was a Swamp Cooler. Most new houses today are built with AC and
it is becoming standard practice to install them on older houses. So the
load on the system will only get worse if things start to heat up.

Back when Exodus was building a couple of Datacenters in Santa Clara,
the goal was to put a power generating plant right in the back yard of a
Datacenter, they even 'bought' the land:

http://www.itworld.com/Man/3906/CIO010501think/

While some Silicon Valley companies make noises about leaving the area,
Exodus recently announced plans to build its own onsite plant that it
hopes will supply power for several new IDCs.

-

>From what I see, the answer to power problems are generate locally. That
means, if you want AC, you need to put solar on your roof. If you are in
need of lots of power for your Datacenter, build near power sources:

Microsoft and Yahoo in Washington and Google in Oregon:

http://seattletimes.nwsource.com/html/localnews/2003114987_microsoft09.h
tml

Christian