Re: Hot weather and power outages continue

  • From: Richard A Steenbergen
  • Date: Mon Jul 24 07:38:52 2006

On Mon, Jul 24, 2006 at 02:22:26AM -0400, Sean Donelan wrote:

> Due to the hot weather in many parts of the US, there have been various
> power outages.  Some large outages have been caused by severe storms, but
> mostly the heat has just overloaded power distribution equipment.
>
> The good news so far is the Net has shown very few disruptions due to
> the heat and some multi-day power outages.  The major ISP access providers
> have been indicating about average numbers of outages in their networks,
> i.e. even during "normal" times, there are usually a few tens of
> thousands of lines down nationwide.

I'm surprised nobody said anything about the (apparently regional) utility
outage in NoVA on Saturday. Equinix Ashburn was running on generator for
several hours, but apparently the SAVVIS facility down the road a few
miles in Sterling (old Exodus facility) didn't fare so well. The latest
story I heard was that they lost 14 out of 16 chillers and customers had
to send techs in in shifts because it reached over 130F inside.

Come on Sean, this "very few disruptions" stuff is below your usual
standards. The least you can do to help us pass the time in this damn heat
is to recount a few good stories about routers you could scramble eggs on.
:)