Re: Web typo-correction (Re: Sitefinder II, the sequel...)

  • From: Peter Dambier
  • Date: Fri Jul 14 13:13:55 2006

Edward B. DREGER wrote:

I'm generally ignoring other protocols to limit the discussion scope. However, one can see how SMTP and FTP might be similarly handled. (IMHO not as good as a SRV-ish system that could return NXDOMAIN per service, but actually somewhat usable today.)

No, you should not. The other iportant things that come into my mind are

mail
----

My thunderbird does use dns, looking for MX records mostly.
For me it is the most important application.

phone
-----

Either VoIP or Skype they both need dns, looking for NAPTR?
The box is hardware. It does not run windows and it has its
own resolver onboard.

dns
---

Some resolvers do not use forwarders. They know whom to
query. They will get a hickup if somebody is returning
them the wrong ip address for a nameserver

(agreed, if you use e.g. djbdns you most likely will
not use OpenDNS in the first place)

--
Peter and Karin Dambier
Cesidian Root - Radice Cesidiana