Re: Sitefinder II, the sequel...

  • From: Niels Bakker
  • Date: Thu Jul 13 12:07:29 2006

* [email protected] (Christopher L. Morrow) [Thu 13 Jul 2006, 16:55 CEST]:
So If grandma Jane goes to fobar.com (which gets corrected/redirected/blah) to foobar.com and sees some content she really likes she may tell grandma June. Grandma June goes to fobar.com and gets the IE error message saying 'site does not exist. She calls her ISP to find out why the site is down.

This is a very oversimplified example, I admit. It does show a simple example though of inconsistency and why that could be 'bad' or atleast problematic. (It might also argue for universal adoption of this technology, which I still 'just dont like', which also might be the crazy pills)

I don't think it's such a good example. Here's why:

The redirect from fobar.com to foobar.com doesn't happen on a DNS level. This is a good thing, as name-based virtual hosting wouldn't work anymore.
So instead of getting the MSIE search page Jane gets the OpenDNS search page, can select foobar.com and then read out the URL in her browser's Location bar to June.

(ironically, www.fobar.com is an alias for ad.funnel.revenuedirect.com.akadns.net.)

-- Niels.