Re: DNS Based Load Balancers

  • From: Patrick W. Gilmore
  • Date: Sun Jul 02 21:16:18 2006

On Jul 1, 2006, at 10:42 PM, Matt Ghali wrote:
On Sat, 1 Jul 2006, Paul Vixie wrote:

my recommendation is: "don't do it." for background, see:

http://www.ops.ietf.org/lists/namedroppers/namedroppers.2002/ msg02168.html
http://www.cctec.com/maillists/nanog/current/msg03572.html
http://www.cctec.com/maillists/nanog/current/msg00671.html

Having implemented F5's 3DNS product for a large entertainment company, I'd like to wholeheartedly agree with Paul.

Please, for the love of god, don't do it.

Would you mind giving us a little more to go on than "the love of god" before making strategic architectural decisions?

Just in case we like to decide things for ourselves. :)

For instance, was F5's implementation flawed, or do you have a reason to dislike the basic idea? And why?

--
TTFN,
patrick