Re: IP failover/migration question.

  • From: Andy Davidson
  • Date: Tue Jun 27 18:57:25 2006

[email protected] wrote:

Andy Davidson wrote:

24 hours + outage whilst stale dns disappears will never do in internet retail.

And yet, with 90% of the net implementing the "will never do" scenario,
we manage to get a lot of internet retail done anyhow. I'm obviously going
to need a *lot* more caffeine to sort through that conundrum....

Hi, Vladis --

Thanks for the email. Unlike a number of ISPs operating in the same geographic region as ourselves, a loss of core systems or connectivity causes something more than the sweat on the forehead of the people responsible for SLA-credit-avoidance... it causes a 100% revenue loss for the period of the outage.

When you reach a certain size, in the UK at least, your business insurance partners will expect you to demonstrate how you have taken steps to avoid this entire outage.
When the company reaches another size, you may find your continued employment also depends on some degree of constant availability.

This is what I mean by 'will never do'. A lot of small firms can sit out an evening without trading. To us, this represents 'real pain'.
Best wishes,
Andy