Re: Who wants to be in charge of the Internet today?

  • From: Steven Champeon
  • Date: Fri Jun 23 14:40:16 2006

on Fri, Jun 23, 2006 at 11:23:44AM -0700, [email protected] wrote:
> The users have an expectation that their "access to the Internet"
> works like a utility. When you say the "power is shut off" you don't
> expect to expand on whether the power grid in your state had a
> cascading failure but people on the other coast still have power and
> when your "water supply is shut off" does not mean that all the people
> in the world can't get a drop.
>
> It just means that her "Internet is off" and as far as she is
> concerned the whole Internet/Power/Water supply might as well be "off"

Yep.

I eventually just trained myself into hearing "my Internet access" when
I heard "the Internet" from someone who doesn't know what the Internet
is.

e.g.,

 s/Is the Internet down?/Is my Internet access down?/

YMMV,
Steve

--
hesketh.com/inc. v: +1(919)834-2552 f: +1(919)834-2553 w: http://hesketh.com/