Re: key change for TCP-MD5

  • From: Steven M. Bellovin
  • Date: Thu Jun 22 17:19:12 2006

On Thu, 22 Jun 2006 13:18:35 -0400, Ron Bonica <[email protected]> wrote:

> Steve,
>
> In Section 1 of your draft, you say:
>
>    "The proper solution involves some sort of key management protocol.
>    Apart from the complexity of such things, RFC 2385 was not written
>    with key changes in mind.  In particular, there is no KeyID field in
>    the option, which means that even a key management protocol would run
>    into the same problem.
>
>    Fortunately, a heuristic permits key change despite this protocol
>    deficiency."
>
> Why not correct the protocol deficiency by introducing a new option that
> includes a KeyID? Wouldn't that approach provide a more comprehensive
> solution to the problem?

That's a much better long-term strategy, though the exact mechanism still
has to be defined.  But it's literally years before that will be usable,
especially because both ends of a connection need to be upgraded before it
delivers any benefits.  That is especially problematic for the interISP
case.

We both agree that key change is (a) necessary, and (b) very difficult
with 2385.  The longer-term issue is where "there" his, and that's what
your draft addresses; my draft is about how to get from "here" to "there".