Re: Tor and network security/administration

  • From: Kevin Day
  • Date: Wed Jun 21 18:43:35 2006

On Jun 21, 2006, at 4:08 PM, Todd Vierling wrote:

On 6/21/06, Kevin Day <[email protected]> wrote:
Failing that, having an exit node look at HTTP headers back from the
server that contained a "X-No-Anonymous" header to say that the host
at that IP shouldn't allow Tor to use it would work.
What's to stop one or more exit node operators from hacking such a
check right back out of the code?

Nothing, but it's the same nothing that stops me from just blocking all Tor exit nodes at the border.

If they showed a little bit of responsibility and allowed other people to make the decision if they wanted to deal with anonymous users or not, I'd be more than willing not to ban the whole lot of them.

Areas where there already is no expectation of anonymity don't allow you to hide your identify in the "real world", so I'm not sure why there is the notion that it's a right on the internet. Try applying for a credit card anonymously, or cashing a check in a bank wearing a ski mask and refusing to show any ID.

I realize fighting open proxies(even ones like this that aren't the result of being trojaned/backdoored) is a losing battle, but the sheer ease in ANYONE being able to click "Give me a new identity" with Tor has really invited the masses to start playing with credit card fraud at a level I hadn't seen before. I'm willing to bet others are experiencing the same thing, but just don't realize they are because they're unfamiliar with Tor and don't know where to look.

On top of all of that, I fully understand that the authors of Tor would have no desire to add such a feature. Their users are the end users, and placating pissy network operators gives them no benefit. All I can say is that if we had a better way of detecting Tor nodes automatically, and making policy decisions based around that fact, we'd be less likely to flat out ban them all.