Re: key change for TCP-MD5

  • From: Joe Maimon
  • Date: Mon Jun 19 09:02:28 2006

Steven M. Bellovin wrote:

I just submitted an I-D on TCP-MD5 key change.  Until it shows up in the
official repository, see
http://www.cs.columbia.edu/~smb/papers/draft-bellovin-keyroll2385-00.txt
Here's the abstract:

                The TCP-MD5 option is most commonly used to secure
                BGP sessions between routers.  However, changing
                the long-term key is difficult, since the change
                needs to be synchronized between different
                organizations.
                We describe single-ended strategies that will permit
                (mostly) unsynchronized key changes.

Comments welcome.

This I-D says BGP implementations should be able to be configured with multiple keys for peers and should do the Intelligent Thing with them.

Makes sense to me.

Did I read it right?