Re: Interesting new spam technique - getting a lot more popular.

  • From: chuck goolsbee
  • Date: Thu Jun 15 14:15:45 2006

At 7:03 PM -0400 6/14/06, Matt Buford wrote:
There is also strong demand among web hosting customers to scatter sites across multiple /24's due to search engine optimization.
I hear this line of thinking often, but to me it sounds like bulls^X^X^X^X^X... um, "folklore". When our customers/salesdroids ask for it, I (politely) refuse. We acquired a hosting operation in 2004 that had blown a full /20 on literally a rack and a half of hardware, and I was aghast at what a nightmare that was. We're still untangling that mess.

Anyway, if somebody could enlighten me to definitive proof, or stated policy by Goo... er "search engines", that confirms this "search engine result optimization by blatant abuse of IP addresses" I'd appreciate it. I for one believe it is bunk dreamt up by somebody trying to sell something. If it is true though, I would have to say that it "is evil" and I would imagine many folks here (and not to mention ARIN, RIPE, et al) would agree.

--chuck